Howdy Folks! We’re still evolving a bit this year since we’ve altered away from our original festival time the first weekend in May…… We will be having our festival this year on Sunday, August 28th. We’ll be returning back to our roots at the Ramona Outdoor Community Center at 421 Aqua Lane (Main St. east – left on 5th – Right on Aqua) for an entire day of great bluegrass music and many other festivities. We will again be sharing our weekend with the Ramona Country Fair, which goes for four days from Thursday through Sunday. << http://www.ramonachamber.com/ramona-country-fair >> There will be lots of great stuff going on. Y’all Come! We’ll be having several great bluegrass groups for your listening enjoyment….. (see the lineup tab for groups & times)
….. and like last year, we’ll be sponsored by the Ramona Chamber of Commerce so….. Admission will be FREE!
The OLD WEST ENCAMPMENT WILL be happening this year as a separate event in May at the Ramona Outdoor Community Center off Aqua Lane. Contact Jim Cooper for info (760 789 1097)
The following is content from prior years………………
Speakin of the Old West, at the east side Venue by the rodeo arena, we’ll be expanding (in fact, darn near doubling in size) our format from last year with our focus on Old West History. There will be an ENCAMPMENT (which you will be able to walk through as you come in through our festival entrance) where several outfits will be holed up for a few days as they make they’re way across the west….. Mountain Men, a Civil War Era camp, a saloon, a prairie schooner and the Cowboys….. maybe even a teepee. You’ll be able to visit their camps, talk and learn about how life was lived in the 1700 – 1800’s. We’ll still be having the (hardly, strictly) Old West Music as well on a third stage nearby. You will walk through the Old West Encampment Area as you head over to the rodeo arena bleachers to see the performers on the “HAPPY TRAILS” Stage.
On Thursday, May 1st and Friday May 2nd there will be approximately 700 5th and 6th graders from the Ramona School District visiting the Encampment for historic learning purposes. You can find the schedule on the Encampment tab under “LineUp”.
Check out the “Encampment” page and pics at the “Lineup” tab >> “Old West Encampment” button.
Things have really come together for this year…… we’re fortunate enough to be having 31 (!!!) groups appear on our THREE STAGES :
Appearing on the Bluegrass FOGGY MOUNTAIN & ROCKY TOP STAGES:
- Hot Club of Cow Town, swingin in from Austin on Saturday Night – They brought the house down last year!
- Bluegrass, Etc. will return to our festival for performances on both Sat. & Sunday
- James Reams & the Barnstormers – Heading our way from Arizona for a big set on Sat.
- Lonesome Otis, our good friends from a bit north and Chris all the way from Nashville
- Bluegrass Brethren – Wonderful Gospel songs on Sunday
- Windy Ridge – Blowing down from up north
- Chris Stuart and Janet Beazley – w/ their Harmony Singer Workshop
- Hay Dudes – Comin at us all the way from the San Louis Obispo Area
- Taildraggers – Draggin their tails back for a return show
- Next Generation Band – a return sound from some fantastic young pickers
- High Mountain Road – Opens the festival on Sat morning
- Mohavi Soul – Fresh from a new CD release
- Virtual Strangers – Strangers no more! They’re back again
- Chris Clarke & Plow – Appalachian Bluegrass Sounds
- Prairie Sky – Some sweet Sat. afternoon sounds
- Shirthouse Band – Harmony Central
- Box Canyon – Comin on Strong
Appearing onThe Old West HAPPY TAILS STAGE:
- Judy Taylor – and her wild west show with 6 shooters and lariats & whips – & a beautiful voice!
- Lacemakers – Celtic Music Set
- Trails & Rails – Old West Music at it’s best!
- The Moves – A new sound from some younger musicians
- Old Town Road – We’re finally getting these guys at our Fest
- Cowboy Jack – the Hank Show
- The Ash Street Ramblers – Loads of experience with this gorup
- Johnny High-Hat – Lots of instruments & great tune selcetions
- Ridge Runners – Mountain Music
- Cowboy Angels – some real experienced balladeers
- Orchard Thieves – Newtown Music for the young & restless
- Sunnyside Strings – A local Ramona Group
- Pony Tales – These ladys will bring it all down home
- Gabriel Hampton – Another Great Ramona Musician
We have solidified commitments from these fine musicians and performers for helping us out at our 5th Annual Ramona Bluegrass and Old West Fest at the Ramona Rodeo Grounds in Ramona CA. You can see when their set times will be – go to the “Lineup” Tab and down to the appropriate “Performance Schedule“.
Some of these bands, along with some other fine musicians, will also be leading MUSIC WORKSHOPS during both days of the festival. This will be a great opportunity for kids – of ALL ages – to bring their instrument and play along with some great teachers for this fantastic learning experience. These workshops are FREE to festival attendees. There will be workshops in Fiddle, Mandolin, Guitar, Banjo, Dobro and definitely Chris Stuart & Janet Beazley’s FANTASTIC HARMONY Workshops. Bluegrass, Etc. will be doing a full band workshop on Sunday. Check out the schedule and sign up instructions under the “INFO” tab:
- Band Workshop by James Reams & the Barnstormers
- Celtic Instrument Workshp – the Lacemakers
- Playing REALLY FAST – Bluegrass, Etc.
- Mandolin Techniques led by Peter Lauderbach
- Banjo Slim – with Jason Weiss
- Harmony Workshops by Chris Stuart & Janet Beazley
- Mandolin / Fiddle – Hay Dudes
- Hot Club of Cowtown 3 concurrent western swing workshops:
- Slap Bass Workshop – Jake Irwin
- Western Swing Fiddle – Elana James
- Western Swing Guitar – Whit Smith
- Beginning Mandolin – B.K. Nicholson
- Dobro – Calvin Patton
- Guitar – James Reams
And a whole lot of other wonderful things to do
- Kid’s Korner
- Fantastic Face Painting – these folks are terrific and really good!
- A whole mess of wonderful Vendors
- A bunch of bluegrass instruments that can be picked up and handled, presented by Jon Hasz of the Ramona Music Center
- Fireside Storytelling after the Music dies down at the Big Pavilion Fireplace.